lifes a beach

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day 8 Zermatt and the Matterhorn


Mel and Julie on the train we took to Zermatt.


We passed through the city of St. Niklaus. Fun huh?

A lot of the chateaus had this type of roof.


The train that took us up to the Matterhorn

In Zermatt, with the Matterhorn behind us

Zermatt, with the Matterhorn in the background. Can
you tell I'm obsessed with the Matterhorn

The Matterhorn!

Going up the mountain to see the Matterhorn

Aren't the Alps beautiful

On the train again, or is that still?

Look at the skiers. Everyone seems to know how to ski
in Switzerland, and the surrounding countries

trying to get a panoramic shot of the alps in the next 4 shots






We've arrived at Gornergrat. Check out the elevation


I now know what they mean by "thin air"

Can you tell what we were excited to see?


It totally beats the Disney version

Showing the beauty of the Alps of Switzerland

There was a restaurant and it looks like an observation
area.

It was SO bright and sunny. Glad I had on the shades.

This little church was up there too.

The weather was so nice. I could hang out in just my shirt
sleeves. LOVED IT!!

Eating at the restaurant. It was just so beautiful. Mel has
Julie's scarf as a headdress, to keep his forhead from burning.

Mel could feel the rays burning his face. He really covered
up. = )

So, we went to see the Matterhorn. I was obsessed with it.
I took picture after picture. It was just so beautiful. And the
weather was absolutely wonderful. The interesting thing
about being at 10,132 ft. is the air is so thin, and you actually
feel really light headed. Well....at least Mel and I did. Julie
didn't notice anything different. But we mosey'd around,
took pictures and ate some lunch, just basking in the
swiss air, enjoying the beautiful view of the Matterhorn.
We took a train from Lausanne to Zermatt. I wish I could
remember how long it took us. 2 hours maybe. Then we
took a train up the mountain side. All the while just
enjoying the beauty. We did a little shopping in Zermatt
before heading back to Lausanne. Well, window shopping.
Mel said that he will remember this day forever.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Zermatt is where i saw a ram under someones house...and it is where Dad and I both slipped and fell on the ice. So fun! I love the Matterhorn too! And I love you!!

Brenda said...

I was thinking it looks just like the one at Disney;) Just kidding yours is much more beautiful!

Partyof9 said...

HOW NEAT!! You guys really got to experience it!
I can truly say that the Alps are true and marvelous wonder! They are gorgeous and every village you visit whether in Switzerland or Germany or Austria all look like little gingerbread houses. It is amazing.
I can't believe how high up in elevation you guys were! If you were at 10K feet + how tall is the Matterhorn?

Thanks for sharing! I have been enjoying all the pictures.:)